Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Things that worry me (but I don't show it)

The new information from Virginia Tech is scaring me. I am horrified, shocked and saddened. Blacksburg, VA is small like my Gettysburg, PA. Both colleges are in small towns and it scares me, still, that this kind of horror could’ve happened in G’burg. Luckily, none of my friends are affected by the recent massacre, but the grief is so massive that even I shed a tear. Can you imagine some student sitting across the classroom with headphones and refusing to respond to anyone in the classroom? I definitely can! These college students are in every classroom I’ve been to. Professor Lucinda Roy is a hero for showing genuine concern for the student, and actually tried to help but could not get across to him. I worry that this is going to happen at UDC, even though I hide my paranoia really well from someone I care. I'm not in general a fearful person! The whole situation does not settle well in my gut.

As if it hasn’t been discussed, this whole situation should indicate that we absolutely need to review the gun policy; otherwise, we’re looking for more episodes like this in the future. There are many lone nutjobs, even the ones that have no history of violence. So long as there is access to guns, there are gonna be school shootings, subway attacks and even office shootings and at home in your neighborhoods. Metal detectors don’t solve anything. The authority should look into gun owners. Duh! Silly ATF people, when are you gonna comprehend this simple crackdown?

Also, what the hell is going on with counseling services or lack thereof in colleges? This is such a tragedy. I visited Gettysburg counseling services several times, voluntarily, over my years at the school, it helped me to stay balance. It’s so absurd how few therapies are available out there and how insurance companies don’t care much about metal health. People around me are genuinely good, but how much of those caring will do for a nutjob? We are bombarded with deliverables and deadlines to meet. How can we tell who needs help!? I am not paranoid! I worry about college students is all. There should be gun control and easy access to good counseling. This whole event makes me worry. My prayers and sympathy go out to the victim’s family and friends…Let’s go, Hokie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home