Tuesday, March 20, 2007

First day of Spring

My all-time favorite Spring poem by William Wordsworth:
Daffodils (1804)

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Go check out the 15th annual Environmental Film Festival. Some colleagues and I are checking out the American Elm: Majestic Imperiled Renewed tonight. Most screenings and discussions are FREE! Ya know I luv free stuff ;-)

I checked out this Hurricane on the Bayou film in Boston, MA at the IMax theatre. Two words: wicked awesome! The message to save the wetland was riveting and empowering. The filmatography is excellent. I highly recommend this documentary at the Enviro Film Festival.

2 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger U2Lorax said...

I can never remember the Environmental Film Festival.. Maybe if I were more of a movie buff, I would. Ah well. Maybe next year.

I love the poem! My current fave spring poem is by my favorite poet, Christina Rossetti (1830-1894):

Spring Quiet
Gone were but the Winter,
Come were but the Spring,
I would go to a covert
Where the birds sing.

Where in the whitethom
Singeth a thrush,
And a robin sings
In the holly-bush.

Full of fresh scents
Are the budding boughs
Arching high over
A cool green house:

Full of sweet scents,
And whispering air
Which sayeth softly:
"We spread no snare;

"Here dwell in safety,
Here dwell alone,
With a clear stream
And a mossy stone.

"Here the sun shineth
Most shadily;
Here is heard an echo
Of the far sea,
Though far off it be."

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Trynn Diesel said...

I luv the poem, too. The imagery is great. I've never heard of Rossetti. She's very good with her diction in her poetry. Let's welcome the vernal equinox!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home