Tuesday, March 14, 2006

March Madness and early spring


At this time of the year, my beruit buddy, SS, and I would fill out our NCAA Basketball bracket. I never fail to piss somebody off about the whole ordeal. Geesh, sensitive folks. It's also because I know crap about bracketology. I don't read the sport pages, unless it is handed to me. I listen to ESPNradio whenever I can, but the technicians insist 97.1 FM, which drives me nuts to unimaginable borderline insanity. I am trying hard to bond with my housemates watching Hallmark Lifetime movies, but having to listen to contemporay soft rock all day, it will be the death of me. Then again, I was told that my cause of death will either be by a lethal car accident or cancer. So the death I'm talking about is really psychological. Back to the brackets, I usually earn 10 to 30 points at the pool. (Given that I cheated by looking at the top 25.) I'm very lousy at predictions.

There was this girl in Dr. Pella's physics class who had dead on 64 points for predicting National Champion and even had an extremely close score number last year, rooting for the Tar Heel. SH was close also, predicting Illinois at the Championship game. I dropped out by the third round. This year, for the sake of feeling lucky, I am not filling out the brackets until the Final Four. However, I'm cheering for GW as a phenomenal local team. Luke Winn over at SI mentions GW and Gonzaga's seed pool. Tune in on March 16 when George Washington vs. UNC-Wilmington game at 7:10 pm. Go GW!! I will certainly NOT root for the Blue Devils that night (b/c they rejected me! yes, it's personal).

If all of this NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament nonesense is boring you, which I can understand (oh bite me, SS), I suggest you walk outdoors and gaze at the flowering blossoms, the spring bulbs and the singing birds. This warm weather spike is definitely unusual, but it's quite rewarding for nature viewing pleasures. Here's a prediction of the blooming of the Cherry Blossoms (March 27-April 1). Definitely check out the Tidal Basin if you're visiting or are in the DC area. And while you're in town, head over to the Mall for the 14th Annual DC Environmental Film Festival. I highly recommend The Anacostia: Restoring the People's River. I have seen the film, and sure enough, there are hot, wicked smahrt, dedicated passionate multi-talented people in the flick. AWS rocks! There are two viewings: March 17 at 12 noon at the National Museum of Natural History, and March 25 at 11 am at the Anacostia Museum Center for African American History and Culture. (Thanx to GG and JA)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home