Monday, October 31, 2005

Trinidad/Tobago Wedding with modern touches


Congratulations to my (former) partner-in-crime, LH, of ES G'burg Science Center on her wedding day! What an amazing occasion. Very well organized in such a tight working schedule. AO and I arrived at the church a few minutes late according to the invitation; however, we were there before the bride herself. It was so nice to see some Gettysburgians on the bride's side of seatings. This is my first friend wedding attendance. I must admit, during the whole ceremony (3-9pm) I had a lot of questions about myself. As always I dismiss or dodge a thoughtful answer and proceed to thinking about worse case scenerios. Maybe I'm shy or maybe I'm stubborn, but it's apparent that both characteristics are not appealing to guys.

At any rate, I just want to sum up the beautiful wedding ceremony. LH, the bride is from the beautiful island of Trinidad. The groom is from the brotherly love city of Philadelphia. Both are Gettysburg alumni. I'm not sure what is the tradition of Trinidad weddings, but the event had many western similarities that include the wedding reception, an elaborate cake, the newlyweds having the first dance, and cutting the cake. LH didn't throw her bouquet, but if she did I can think of a couple of hundreds worse case scenerios, such as me ending up answering to the authorities why I think it was necessary to elbow fellow guests. Oh, during dinnah the guests often clink their glasses and the newlyweds had to kiss. AO jokes about providing plastic cups and utencils at her wedding because the guests tend to get a kick out of making clinking noise. Speaking of noises (and off-beat voices), the G'burg gang sang Nat King Cole's "L-o-v-e" and Bob Marley's "Is This Love" as a tribute to the happy couple. I helped out with the interpreted dances, but others were way better. I especially enjoy the musical selection from the pastor's daughters with the repeated segments of the Ode To Joy, the fourth movement of Ludwig van Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and the "Bridal Chorus" by Richard Wagner. [Did you know because Richard Wagner was extremely Anti-Semitic, and as a result, the Bridal Chorus is often not used at Jewish weddings] For no good reasons, weddings seem to be a semi-depressing time for me. This Trinidad wedding was spectacular. I'm taking notes, just in case. Once again, congratulations to you fine folks. The long drive was well worth it (damn those friggin' portions tolls and the slow traffic). This won't be the last time I'll hear from you. Best wishes and long happy life together.

Of course, we ended the night at Chickies and Pete's with my crazy friends LG and Supah Shmee. Thanx for letting us crash for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home