Monday, June 26, 2006

Flash Flood Warning


It’s been raining heavily the last two days. Part of the Beltway is shut down due to a mudslide. The Orange Metro Line is closed. Many roads are blocked. There has been a few outages and random basement flooding in homes. Luckily, my basement is spared. The loud thunder scares the kids, ha.ha (and even me, hehe). For the next several days, there’ll be more rain coming, more flash flood warnings. What concerns me is the stormwater surface runoff. Right now, the Anacostia River does not smell very pleasant. You can expect a large quantity of pollutant on the waterways after this week's t-storms.

Off on a tangent: Portugal beats Holland -- one to nil! My guesstimate is that they'll go all the way to beat England and go to the semi-finals. Portugal will contend either against Ghana/Germany/Brazil/or Argentina -- they all have really good talents. Boy oh boy!! It's so hard to predict. I hope there won't be any power outages during the game. That would be uncool.

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger ek said...

But did you head over to the BWP? It was crazy; around 12:30am, the water was all the way up the boat ramp, and the docks were actually higher than the street (yes, boats included). About 10 more feet and the levees would've been breached in Colmar Manor. Is this what global warming looks like? I need a new kayak.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Trynn Diesel said...

Yikes! Terrifying. I've seen the water rise up to the parking lot at BWP but never actually higher than the street. Did ya take some pics? Besides the levees, maybe the Anacostia need a small overflow-type dam to avoid catastrophic flooding to CM. The high level of water does make one thinks about global warming, and we're only at the begining of the summer season.

As for the new kayak, where's my wealthy European chancellor you promised? Until I see him, I'll get you the wooden kayak :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home