Monday, June 12, 2006

Sad news...

I have tragic news. My neighbor’s (Bác Xuân) grand-daughter, 21, passed away yesterday by drowning on the Potomac River. The family and friends were having a cookout gathering by the Harry Nice Bridge on Route 301 South. Her body was found in the water by rescuers about half an hour after she fell off her personal watercraft. She was not wearing a life jacket, and I was told she could not swim. The winds were up to 30 mph, and it could be that the white caps and choppy waters contributed to her demise.

This is truly tough because I’m familiar with the area. I’ve kayaked out there at several occasions and have swim meters out from the shore for clamming. Oh gosh. My condolences go out to Bác Xuân and her family and friends. The grand-daughter (whom I can not reveal her name right now) has entered the United States for nearly a year, but her young life has cut short unexpectedly. Funeral arrangements are scheduled for later this week. My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to the family. Please take care of each other.

Up-to-date (6/19/06):

I found the report, here. Five have drowned in past six weeks in this area. My gosh. I'm taking my niece and nephews for swimming lessons (you too Brother in Black).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home