Friday, September 08, 2006

Marriages: the real and the fake


I've talked about phony marriages ages ago, and I am contradicted. The state of Virginia is cracking down on fake marriages. Investigators have found that it is hard to tell between a real and a fake one.
Twenty-two people were charged, including "facilitators" who brokered the marriages for fees ranging from $2,500 to $6,000, illegal immigrants who wanted a marriage as a means of obtaining permanent residency, and U.S. citizens who received initial payments of $500 plus monthly installment payments totaling up to $3,600 for their participation.[...]

"We don't normally take an opinion on matters of the heart, but it's safe to say in this case that we do not believe in love at first sight," Rosenberg said.

The investigation, using confidential informants and undercover agents, revealed extensive evidence of the fraud, including payments between individuals and efforts by facilitators to coach couples on the questions customs agents might ask them to verify the marriage's legitimacy, like what side of the bed each slept on.
There is the ugly ugly truth, and there is the "opportunity" for a better life. Can you imagine the nightmare of a fake ceremony? Kissing and cutting the wedding cake with your “husband” while his real girlfriend looks on with rage. Then you have to go through the passport panel trying to prove that you and “your husband” are in a relationship. Personally, I can not fake things if my life depends on it. Everyone can tell when I lie, even my two year old nephew knows it. I scratch my right ear when I try to hide something. Don’t know why. Weird.

It is a dangerous position for taking the mid ground, but I don't have much to say about this scheme. I still think it's wrong (if you get caught). But what if you’re just trying to help a friend? Statistically, one in five marriages are bogus anyways :-) Do let me know your stories and your views (anonymously). I am curious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home