Thursday, December 01, 2005

Arranged marriages or Phony marriages

I have always opposed to marriage fraud; however, arrange marriage sounds fun. Just kidding! well, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean, if Apu had an arrange marriage and it worked, who knows. Ok ok, Abu is a cartoon, gosh! Anyhow, this Fox article didn't shock me because it's incredibly common within the Vietnamese community.

Federal authorities arrested 11 people in connection with a sophisticated marriage fraud scheme that targeted Asians seeking U.S. citizenship.

The arrests took place Tuesday in Los Angeles and Orange counties and the Bay Area, according to officials who described the operation as one of the biggest of its kind in the country.

Chinese and Vietnamese nationals were charged up to $60,000 to marry American citizens to obtain green cards, authorities said. Couples were provided with fake wedding photographs, joint tax returns and even love letters. [...]

Recruiters for the ring allegedly received $1,000 for each U.S. citizen they found who was willing to marry a foreigner and submit a visa petition. The U.S. citizens allegedly received $3,000 to $5,000, plus travel expenses, to fly to Vietnam or China for arranged marriages and to apply for visas for their spouses, authorities said.


It's about time the authorities are catching on. Many who do these phony marriages are native Viet men who want the cash or want a young Vietnamese wife. I'm not going to lie, my brother and a few of my acquantances are one time or another have been offered the 'opportunity'. My cousin from Vietnam begged me if I could set one of these deals for her. I couldn't respond back. For one, I'm broke and Omigosh! Has her conscience been diminished? Does she know what love is? I mean in these kinds of marriage, love and physical attraction are obviously non-existent. (Oh don't give me the exceptional crap, if it works for my grandparents, may they rest in peace, it doesn't mean that it'll work for my generation). Then again, there could be more deeper desperate reason.

I dunno, but I'll give you a case scenerio, a woman who came over on an arranged marriage was stuck without any legal standing when her husband left her. In order to get a green card, she must have proof that she has been married for two years. Everything was fine in the husband's eyes until she got pregnant, and then he threw her out on the street and refused to deal with her. Although technically still married on paper, she had no copy of the document, and her temporary green card expired, leaving her without the ability to get a job or healthcare. Then you'd be in deep shit, easily deported. Ask any FOB Vietnamese, and this example will be head nod. So why are we keep doing these phony marriages, despite the legality controversy? Because America is a beautiful place where we can get away with a lot of things. Damn communists, driving away her inhabitants and even messing with a woman's emotion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home