Monday, November 27, 2006

Do you ... ?

"Do u still keep unfashionable eyes?"

How would one respond to that question? "Yes", "No", "Maybe", "I dunno", "Can you repeat the question?" An acquaintance has asked me that question recently, and I can’t seem to come up with an answer. It’s true that I have no sense of fashion. (I’m a river rat, remember?) Ask anyone, my wardrobe is a disaster zone to the fashionable eyes. The old washing machine doesn’t clean well and it has ruined my favorite t-shirt and my nice pants. Ugh! But I digress.

A couple of weekends ago, on the street of West 27th, Manhattan, I saw this lady in a well-put outfit that was to die for. The shoes, scarf, jeans, jacket were perfect. They were black, brown and gray. An awful color combination, but her stride of fashion confident was immeasurable. What caught my eyes were the vintage men’s shoes. I think they were from Salvatore Ferragamo. I don’t know where she got the gray jacket from, but it was a short sleeve wool coat, classic! The brown pashmina scarf was loosely tied around her neck. And the shoes!! Did I mention the shoes? I would never have pulled that off. The shoes were black and brown. The skinny black jeans really brought out her thin legs. Among her accessories, she had a Chanel bag and Christian Dior big-ass sunglasses. I thought she looked classic.

So, do I keep unfashionable eyes? I suppose no. Good fashion is in the eye of the beholder. Any of my Club Bed friends that see this lady on the street of Manhattan, New York, would probably give her a disgusting look. I, on the other hand, find her style intriguing. Her outfit is definitely affordable, and the accessories (I’m sure they were fake Chanel and Dior gray market stuff) were unnecessary, but she had to have them. The long hair hides her dangling earrings, but they were nice. My job is fine. I still use Heineken to pass the evening hours, and I will not, under any circumstances, "improve" myself just so that you’ll like me. The End.


For every romantic possiblity, no matter how robust, there exists at least one equal and opposite sentence, phrase, or word capable of extinguishing it. –Malcolm Gladwell-
I AM that opposite sentence.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Blogger U2Lorax said...

I'd prolly say something like "my eyes know when they see something fashionable" and depending on the tone of voice and/or intent of the person asking, I'd add something snarky to the end. "Do yours?" or give them a look up and down, implying that they are SO lacking in fashion taste. I know what I like but that doesn't mean I wear it. My fashion credo: If it's not comfortable, if I'm not cmofortable in it, it's not worth buying.

Then again, my wardrobe consists of jeans and t-shirts. I don't hike in skirts and heels so why buy them?

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Trynn Diesel said...

Haha. Ditto Squirrelly. Although, I may have misunderstood the question and intention altogether. I may have taken it the wrong way too. The Pashimina silk scarf was so comfortable and cheap ($5) that I got three from NYC. It goes with almost anything I have this autumn/winter season. I'd hike with my Pashimina around my neck. I can also use it as rope if need be :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home