Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Typical Wednesday

Check out this fascinating photo of Europe at night. It is taken during the day and night on a cloudless atmosphere. The Guardian newspaper features a centrefold image showing Europe at dawn as if viewed from space. I love it! (Courtesy of Nasa archives)

I'm also enjoying the snow and jumpstarting my housemate's car battery. It was my first time jumpstarting a car; she had forgotten to turn off her monster Honda Pilot neon blue headlights over night. I'm not gonna lie, I was scared and was experiencing the proudest moment of my life. Very simple procedure you might incline, but imagine me (for those who know my petite stature) trying to crank a lead-acid battery full of plates, lead, and lead oxide with a voltage capacity of 12.0v in the blistering cold...shivering questions like "where's the negative and the positive?" or "which is red and which is black?". I had every equipment to jumpstart Tammy's car, the cable connectors, Cammy the Camry's working battery; all I need is some guts. I must admit, thanks to the handy friends I'd met over the years, I looked like a natural. The whole thing didn't take more than ten minutes, and off Tammy's car went. Will I volunteer to do this again? Not unless I have to. I was scared shitless. That's enough chemistry for me today.

In other news, a new species is found on Borneo, a new carnivore! The World Wildlife Fund is conducting the research to determine if there is a new species that was recently photographed.
Environmental researchers are preparing to capture what they call a new, mysterious species of carnivore on Borneo, the first such discovery on the wildlife-rich Indonesian island in over a century. [...] Locals and wildlife experts who viewed photographs of the animal, which has very small ears and large hind legs, said they had never seen such a creature before and were convinced that it was a new species, WWF said.
Very exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home