Thursday, January 12, 2006

Cognitive pressure

Brother in Black and Buzz-cut nephew are in trouble with school again. End of second quarter report cards have arrived, and I am stressed out. The schools wouldn't return my calls, and the Mustangs' staffs would not pick up the phone. Ay yah! I'm just trying to schedule a couple of teacher-parent meetings, that's all. I know I'm not their legal guardians, but I speak on the parents' behalf. I don't want to talk about the family's circumstances because it is so super scandalicious that the daytime soap opera shows ought to contact us, or so my friend incline. Anyhow, given the statistics that Prince George's County's schools are the second worst in Maryland and the worst in the Washington, DC, suburbs, I am quite optimistic that we can do better. What else can we do but better, right?

Of course, the bottom line to good education is how parents motivate the kids to learn. I am disappointed at Brother in Black and Buzz cut nephew, but I can not blame them entirely. I am not blaming the parents neither. Hey, shit happens. This sister and auntie will try to easedrop in your grade school educational affairs and even make humor out of the worse scenerios. The great Galileo Galilei once said:
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.
I did a paper in college about gender and racial differences in standardized test scores and are Asian children smarter? I did well in the paper but not on the standardized tests. One of my conclusions was that populations with different economic status can result in increased test scores. Given our family economic background, or lack thereof, I turned out alright. Certainly, the stereotypic "Asians are smarter" threat is not good for young people . Although, I thank you for your observation. It is a good thing that these stereotypes and their impacts are readily changed.

Now, how about them meetings? I promise I won't bite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home