Wednesday, March 29, 2006

US immigration debate

Evidently there are rallies all over the US regarding a supposed crack down on illegal immigration. Not that I saw any protests first hand, but this immigration politics is creating heated debates everywhere (except at my house). There are tons of opinions on the news. I think Matt Frie's take is somewhat valid:
The Dubai Ports saga was the hors d'ouvres. Immigration reform is the entree. [...]
Some want to work, make money and leave. Others want to work and stay for ever. [...]
The country is big enough to accommodate both. Despite the trauma of 9/11, the self laceration of Iraq and the shame of Abu Ghraib, the US can still be stirred by the creed of its founding fathers.
I haven't made up my mind regarding this issue. I am an immigrant. I have a lot of sympathy for people just trying to get ahead, just trying to earn a living. What's wrong with migrants coming here to work and become part of the community and contribute to paying taxes?

It's true that illegal immigration creates winners and losers. Winners include employers with cheaper labor. Losers include those whose wages drop because of the constant exploited cheap labor (Wal-Mart!). It's sad, but one must ask this question: Can the US survive without millions of illegal migrant workers? Hollywood and upper classmen would say no, because who will tend their enormous lawns?

Speaking of backyard labor, I need some help lifting the wooden fence I'd knocked down the other day. I swear it was the wind and the poor structure, but Mary said I'd leaned on it too hard. (huh!?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home