Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Bomb in Mumbai


Seven bombs struck a commuter train in a Mumbai suburb. There are anxious relatives gather around the lists of the names of dead and injured at hospitals today. The initial speculation is Kashmiri separatists -- damn despicable scumbags! My condolences go out to the people of Bombay/Mumbai. I have not heard back from Rustom. I hope his family and friends are ok. For more updated info and how to help, go here.

In other news, Zidane apologizes for the headbutt.
WHAT WAS SAID?
BBC Radio Five Live asked a deaf lip reader to read Materazzi's words phonetically to an Italian translator:
She deciphered the insult as being "you're the son of a terrorist whore"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The BBC's Ten O'Clock News called in experts to study the television footage who said:
Materazzi told Zidane to "calm down" before accusing him of being a "liar" and wished "an ugly death to you and your family". This was followed by "Go f*** yourself" [...]

There were claims the Italian had called Zidane a "terrorist", but in Tuesday's edition of the Italian newspaper La Gazetta dello Sport, Materazzi said: "It was the kind of insult you will hear dozens of times and just slips out on the field.
Geesh. Why the headbutt? It hurts the scalp. If someone had insulted my mother, I'd give him the high kick, not launching my crown into his chest. That way, the ref would give me a yellow card instead of a send-off. Though, I'm glad Zidane apologized -- it's a professional thing to do.