Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Self parking car


My mom would buy this new technology in less than a heartbeat.
(AP) Your hands don't even need to be touching the steering wheel for it to start spinning back and forth aggressively, all by itself - slowly guiding the car into the parking spot.
Parallel parking is designed to be a breeze with the Intelligent Parking Assist system, part of a new $2,200 option package for Toyota Motor Corp.'s Prius gas-electric hybrid in Japan. [...]
If you know Japan, it should come as no surprise that about 80 percent of its Prius buyers have opted for Intelligent Parking Assist. This is a country of famously narrow streets and cramped lots where squeezing into spaces can be a blood pressure-raising exercise. [...]
Hands-free driving doesn't mean you can read a book or doze off. The system has no artificial intelligence that actually recognizes objects - so it won't stop for a person or a cat or anything else you shouldn't be running over.
You still have to hit the brakes yourself. And the system is designed so that it will shut itself off if you lift your foot from the brake pedal, making the car go too fast.
The Intelligent Parking Assist isn't for sale in the United States yet, but they're coming. Do notice the drawbacks of this innovation. I can understand the use of the sensor if you live in London, NYC, Hong Kong or Japan, but DC parallel parking is not that bad. So, I'm gonna pass on this offer.

I kick *ss at parallel parking. It may take me a while, but I get into the space without bumps and scratches. This tech will not make my life easier. What if there are glitches in the computer program? What if my bf hacks into the system and send me flying off the bridge? What if the machine suddenly replies: “I’m sorry. Can.not.compute. Self-destruct in 3..2..1” Kaboomm! Now that would suck! By the way, why aren’t the police forces invest in gas-electric cruisers? It would significantly clear the air (well, it would help decrease global warming just a bit). If needed be, I can install nitrous oxide injections into the hybrids for those car chasing episodes. Haha. Silly cops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home