Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Wally World invasion

We all know too well this giant retailer is taking over the world. Within a five-mile radius, there are two Wal-Marts in Gettysburg and the nearby Hanover, Pa. I must admit, I visited Wally World quite often during my 4-year stay at G'burg; however, they are killing the local stores, the neighborhood specialty stores and even hurting the cultural communities. I almost cried when the iron store closed down and the local ethic restaurants went out of business. If the coffeehouse disappears, I'll never go back to G'burg with the same enthusiasm again!

What's the deal with Wal-Mart!? Now they're coming to Capitol Plaza Mall, my town!! taking the whole 142,000 square-foot. Many residents came out to voice their concerns, but the resolution has been written and it looks like Wally World will invade. It's the Wal-Mart in the role of Adam Smith's invisible hand now. The workers' rights advocacy organization, American Rights at Work, has taken initiative against the retail giant's unfair practices in the workplace. Wal-Mart employees who just want to negotiate for decent wages, affordable health care, and basic protections on the job encounter huge obstacles and overwhelming resistance. Check out the site and take action!

I finished Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. I give it a 3 out of 5 stars. Great writing style and eloquent research, but he gave such a somber view of the future. (Perhaps that's why I've been depressed lately) Furthermore, he does not offer any concrete solutions to our environmental problems, maybe he wants us to study the past and come up with projects for our future sustainable existence. I never finished Atlas Shrugged--3/4 through the book and I tossed it behind my bookshelf. Unbelieveable people! Why do they (Hank Rearden and Dagny Taggart) hate society so much and enjoy hated by people? Capitalism my ass. Objectivism, it's just a selfish philosophy.

3 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katrina Reignites Global Warming Debate
Hurricane Katrina's fury has reignited the scientific debate over whether global warming might be making hurricanes more ferocious.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a computer work at home site. It pretty much covers computer work at home related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Trynn Diesel said...

Hello anonymous. I don't get comments. Heck, I didn't think people would read my ramblings. The blog is actually therapy for me. Anyhow, the talk of global warming being the cause, hurricanes typically follow multi-decade cycles. If the trend continues there will be a good 5 to 10 years of bad storms to come in that area. I don't know much about structual engineering. I don't want to see New Orleans completely wash away. It has to be rebuilt, and it will be structurally spectacular.

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Cheverly and can't wait for the Walmart to open. Gee, it could remain an empty shell of a failed Mall, or provide jobs and a decent place to shop for the local Community. I pick the latter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home