Monday, October 03, 2005

Nepotism/Cronyism

For those who missed the news this morning on the nomination of Harriet Miers for the Court, here's classic example of cronyism. Without a doubt, she's part of Dubya's inner circle. A tibit of her history: She went to SMU for both undergrad and law school, that certainly breaks up the Yale & Harvard dominance of the Court at least a little bit. She has a degree in Math and was the first woman to head the Texas State Bar. She's single with no kids and apparently wears a size 6 shoe. My gosh, that's my size. She's in my inner circle now.

No seriously, when you first read the draft of advise and consent clause, there was significant worry about nepotism. Over the dim sum brunch yesterday, JA and GG talked about the novel "The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli. How true that this clever Machiavellian move by Dubya. Ms. Miers has no judicial record , and that means no ammunition for Senate Democrats. You can't bash someone who doen't have a history. It would be nice to see a learned nominee with actual experience in the mould of John Roberts on the bench rather than some shadowy Bush crony. By the way, Ms. Miers have any environmental opinions? Oh, forget that I asked, no one knows. It's like Dubya picked her specifically because she wouldn't be confirmed.

On other news, my mom finally got her driver's liscense!!! I'm so proud of her. Guess who is her favorite now? haha. Those many hours of my near death heart attacks really paid off. Next test of patient: my younger brother getting his driving liscense. I dunno if I'm ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home